Friday, July 29, 2011

Get Babies Used to Household Noises

"Myth: Get Them Used to Sounds of the Household...Parents are often told its a good idea to accustom their babies to loud noises. I ask you, would you like it if I came into your room in the middle of the night while you were sleeping and played loud music? That's not respectful. Should you be any less considerate of your baby?"  Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg with Melinda Blau

Has anyone tried this myth and have it work?

But what do you say?

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't intentionally make loud noises but we are not quieteither. We would go on about our lives. If we had to vacume we would. My oldest can sleep through anything. And considering that we have the three kids, its never quiet in our house. So I would say make noise with out being rude. Its really nice to have friends over and the kids sleep even though we are making noise

    Jeremy-father of three girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vacuumed throughout my pregnancy, and we also have 2 dogs. I really feel that our daughter easily adapted to those sounds outside of the womb, just from exposure while she was inside.

    Would I go into her room and vacuum while she napped? No. But she didn't startle for vacuuming or dog barks either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other posts. I went about my day taking care of things, but if I could give them peace and quiet - then good. Sometimes I would take a nap too. I have another child and 3 dogs, and I played music in my childrens room while they slept. My son fell asleep at my friends house, during a party and they were playing rock band. He was so used to noise that when we did want to go straight to sleep and we didn't talk for a while with him going to sleep he would stay awake. Sometimes when I rock him I have to put something on the TV just so he will go to sleep. It is nice. I just need him to learn to sleep without me - at home. He sleeps at the daycare just fine.lol

    ReplyDelete