Friday, July 29, 2011

Why Its Hard To Listen To A Crying Baby

One reason is because "you had a difficult delivery. Instead of focusing on the new baby, [the mothers] get stuck feeling sorry for themselves...feel guilty, especially if the baby had a problem-and they feel helpless." Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg with Melinda Blau

This is so true for me. With my daughter getting stuck in the birth canal and needing an emergency c-section, then developing an infection with severe jaundice and swelling of the head from the vacuum tries, she had to be in the NICU for 6 days. I feel so 'guilty' whenever I hear her cry, so I always rush right in to stop it. With all she went through, I feel terrible that when she does cry, I want to make her feel better, because I can control that. I couldn't control my delivery. This was an eye-opener when I read it. But the delivery wasn't my fault. She is okay now. No problems from the delivery and I need to remember she won't remember what happened.

But what do you say?

3 comments:

  1. My delivery was relatively easy (at least compared to yours) and I still HATE to listen to Susanna cry! It breaks my heart! I think we just don't ever like to see our children anything but happy.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to listen to the cry, and that's perfectly normal. Mothers are nurturers by nature. It's what we instinctually know how to do best. Stick with your gut feelings when it comes to your baby crying. Just know that it's all ok, and the cries have meaning. Your baby may be expressing hunger, sleepiness, teething pain... whatever... it's a way for her to communicate the only way she knows how at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t feel bad and don’t listen to those people that tell you to let your baby cry. I strongly believe that babies cry for a reason...hunger, dirty diaper, cold, or even simply, mommy's warmth and love. Here is another "they say," They say enjoy them all you can now because when they get older, they won't want anything to do with you! So every time Jordana cries, I run, pick her up and give her lots of love and attention :) When she is 15 years old, she will probably cry because she wants to be out with her friends(or boys) and not with mommy!

    Liz Vargas :)

    ReplyDelete